Monday, October 29, 2012

"Which Stregtheneth Me"

This one is for all the word geeks out there. I make my disclaimer now that this doesn’t work in every language. But when I discovered an ambiguity in the English version, it spoke to me. So don’t call the bad-interpretation-of-sacred-writ police – it’s just a little thought that passed through my head. You can take it or leave it.

I love Phillipians 4:13: “I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.” Here’s why. It has to do with the words “which” and “strengtheneth.” In English, this verse can have two meanings. Both “which” and “strengtheneth” can refer to two either “Christ” or “all things.” So, we can restructure the sentence to read “Through Christ which strengtheneth me, I can do all things,” or “Through Christ, I can do all things which strengtheneth me.” Again, this doesn’t work in all languages, but for me the English translation stresses an important point. It is Christ who gives us the strength to do all things. And it’s the things that strengthen us for which we receive help from Christ. So Through Christ, who strengthens me, I can do all things that will strengthen me.

Maybe I’m talking in circles here. But I like it anyways.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.