In Mark 8:22-26, Jesus performs a miracle different than any other recorded in the scriptures. He heals a blind man in stages, and it is the only recorded instance in which a miracle is performed by degrees. The first time the Savior touches the blind man, he is able to see “men as trees, walking” (v. 24). In other words, he was able to see figures of people that lacked detail. The Savior touches the blind man’s eyes again and “he was restored, and saw every man clearly” (v. 25).
In regards to this miracle, Bruce R. McConkie said, “It may be that the Lord followed this course to strengthen the weak but growing faith of the blind man. It would appear that the successive instances of physical contact with Jesus had the effect of adding hope, assurance, and faith to the sightless one” (Doctrinal New Testament Commentary, 1:379-80).
I like this story. I think that sometimes when I’m looking for a miracle, I also expect an immediate solution. But it doesn’t always work this way. In fact, it often doesn’t work this way. If I pray for patience, or hope, or kindness, etc., I typically don’t get the whole load I need for my entire lifetime all at once. Things tend to come more slowly than that, and with a lot more effort. Like the blind man, the Lord also blesses me in stages in order to help me grow my faith.
Elder McConkie continues, “[M]en should seek the Lord’s healing grace with all their strength and faith, though such is sufficient for a partial cure only, following the receipt of which, however, they may then gain the added assurance and faith to be made whole and well every whit.” The beginnings of a miracle are meant to increase my faith, thereby making my faith sufficient for what I haven’t yet received. So as I ask for a miracle, I need to approach it with the attitude of “Lord, I believe; help thou mine unbelief” (Mark 9:24). Then when I recognize the beginnings of a miracle, my faith will grow and I can gain enough faith to “be made whole and well every whit.”
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.